I tested this out a few times on steak and other things. Generally, it is pretty solid. Easy to handle. And my steaks have been coming out just about right. The design is sleek and I love how there is a magnet on the base which allows me to stick it to my frig. But you do have to be careful, the stick gets pretty hot and you should always use gloves or something when you are pulling it out. I have been using in a combination of using an insta-grill.
A few tips I figured out.
1. Be careful about how much ambient heat you have, that will affect how much time or how early you have to pull out your meat.
2. Use a glove or cloth when you pull it out of the meat so that you don't get burned.
3. Don't wash it right away or put it in water. Instead, let it cool down before cleaning it. (metal hitting something cold will warp the metal)
4. If you are using an insta-grill have your alarm happen at 15 degrees lower than your target temp.
5. Get yourself some rechargeable batteries. If you don't already have any. It is just good to have for this and other gadgets around the house.