As everyone knows, there are some special meals that people only cook for a special time like cooking a turkey for thanksgiving.
This year, March 17th is St. Patrick’s day and it is very important for Irish people because of that not only that day but also during the week, bars and restaurants organize events, such as providing big green hats or offering free drinks or food if you wear green clothes.
So, who is St. Patrick?
He is one of the most popular saints in history. Also known as “the patron saint” in Ireland.
St. Patrick’s day had begun as a holiday and then evolved into an Irish celebration with parades, beers, and lots of green stuff. If you want to find out more about the history of this day, check here.
About corned beef and cabbage recipe, it is very easy to cook. The preparation usually takes 10 minutes. The cook takes about 2.5 hours. Of course, if you prefer slow and low style, it may take up to 10 hours. We will do the faster version. So, we won’t be late for this special dinner time.
So, let’s dive into how to cook corned beef and cabbage to feel the tradition of this day.
- 1.4 kg (or 3 pounds) corned beef brisket
- 1 spice packet (when you buy corned beef, a spice packet is also provided. If it is not provided. Then look at this page to find out how to make a spice packet for corned beef)
- 1 big cabbage (make sure to cut into small pieces)
- 10 small potatoes (red ones)
- 5-6 carrots (they should be first peeled and then cut into 3 or 4 pieces)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 176°C.
- Insert a meat thermometer to track its temp and make sure that your corned beef will be mouthwatering. We recommend The MeatStick since it is completely wireless and has various range options, which means you do not have to babysit the meat for 2.5 hours. It is pretty handy and accurate. You can focus on other things while your corned beef is in the oven.
- Place corned beef in a dutch oven or normal large pot and then cover with water. The next thing, we should add is the spice packet into the pot.
- Once the pot is ready, just cover it and let it boil. Make sure that the internal temperature should be 145°F / 62°C, USDA suggests as an ideal temperature for corned beef.
- After that reduce the temperature to simmer for approx. 1 hour until the beef is tender.
- Add all carrots and potatoes, and cook them until they are tender too. At last, add the cabbage to cook for another 15 minutes.
- It is now time to remove the meat and let it rest for 15 min. While the meat is resting, put all vegetables into a bowl and then cover. You can also add the broth if you want. The last step of this awesome recipe is to slice the meat and then it is ready to serve.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!