If you want to cook something totally different, then you’ve come to the right blog!
This week, we’ll teach you how to bake catfish in your oven. Before getting into recipe details, let’s talk catfish!
Catfish can be found on every continent except Antarctica. They are mostly found in freshwater environments.
Some of you may wonder whether or not eating catfish is healthy or if it even is tasty. The truth is, they are actually very delicious and a great source of protein. After all, fish is a healthy food choice.
What are the main types of Catfish?
Firstly, you need to know what type of catfish you need to buy/catch! There are three main types of catfish:
Channel catfish is a species that can be commonly found in North America and they weigh up to 2 or 3 pounds on average. This type of catfish is smaller than the two types below.
Blue catfish are the biggest and most valuable type of catfish. On average, blue catfish can weigh from 20 to 40 pounds. They are large river fish and like to hang out in the deep of a river or lake.
Flathead catfish are considered to be the toughest ones to catch. Flatheads are quite solitary and harder to find compared to the other two kinds.
Do you like fishing?
Here are some top tips to catch a catfish that you can then bake!
- Fishing, in general, is great fun all year round, but if you want to catch catfish, the best season for it is the summer. Of course, this all depends on where you are in the world, what you have in your nearest rivers & lakes.
- When it comes to catfish bait, for each type of catfish, you will need to use different kinds of bait. For example, for the flathead catfish, the common baits are live perch, brim, goldfish,... You can refer to this article which will teach you what kinds of bait you will need to prepare for all the different types of catfish.
- The evening time is when catfish are the most active. There’s nothing better than cracking open a fresh beer on a warm summer night while waiting for catfish to bite!
Assuming that you caught a catfish, the next step will be to skin the fish. Here is a guide on how to skin a catfish.
Time to actually cook the catfish!
Ingredients (for 4 people)
- 4 Catfish fillets
- Black Pepper
- Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- A mixture of your preferred spices! We like to use smoked paprika & Provence herbs
- Preheat your oven to 425°F / 218°C.
- Drizzle 2 spoons olive oil over the baking tray.
- Combine your spice mixture and season over catfish fillets.
- Activate The MeatStick- True Wireless Meat Thermometer- and then insert the probe inside the fish. After that, you will need to choose your cook in The MeatStick app as well so that you can track with your phone without babysitting your fish cook.
- Place your catfish on the tray and then sprinkle the rest 2 tablespoons olive oil over the meat. And then let it cook until it becomes golden brown. Since we are using a wireless meat thermometer, The MeatStick, there’s no need to guess whether it is cooked or not. You will have the exact cooking time and get notified when the cook is done. No more guessing and babysitting your food!
When The MeatStick says the cook is done then it’s done!
Time to eat! We love pairing catfish with a nice Chenin Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio!